From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 8:21 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Why to buy a K20D?

To get serious about this, the ISO number doesn't just multiply the signal.
There are other factors, most notably heat, that determine how much noise
will acompany that multiplication. Thus, a camera can, indeed, be a good
high ISO performer. And the K20D is exactly that. But as I noted before,
correct exposure is critical. Push the result one stop, and the amount of
noise will be multiplied far more.
Paul
From: Paul Stenquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I don't know why it works from a technical point of view, but it
> works:-). The K20D yields very good high ISO pics with noise control
> set to the minimum. If I get the results I want, I don't worry a lot
> about why I got them.
> Paul
> Paul
> On Jun 29, 2008, at 4:57 PM, Toralf Lund wrote:
>
> > Paul Stenquist wrote:
> >> In truth, the K20D is an excellent high ISO performer, [ ... ]
> > I've been meaning to ask some questions about this for a long time,
> > since it doesn't really make sense to me when people say that a
> > certain
> > camera is has a good high ISO performance. I mean, doesn't the ISO
> > setting just multiply the signal? Shouldn't that mean that the
> > performance is exactly as good, relatively speaking, at high ISO
> > values
> > as it is at low ones (and vice versa)? Or is what people really mean
> > that the noise under low-light conditions is better controlled
> > (regardless of the ISO setting as such)? Or does the sensor actually
> > have an improved dynamic range that doesn't show up at lower ISOs
> > because the A/D cuts of part of the signal? Is this what "extended
> > dynamic range" is all about? Or, alternatively, is everyone merely
> > talking about the quality of the built-in image enhancement
> > software (in
> > which case I'm not really interested..)?
> >
> > Just thought I might mention it, since the subject was brought up
> > yet again...
> >
> > - Toralf
> >

> > --
> > PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List