I wonder just how many of the complaints are just because these
are temporary workers booked through one particular temp agency?

For one thing, what's ridiculous about "find your own transport
or pay to use our bus" (supplied, note, by the temp agency, not
by Amazon).  That's been the deal almost everywhere I've ever
worked - only one place had a free shuttle from downtown to the
office, and even there I still had to get to the pickup point.

Another point:  hourly-paid temporary workers aren't eligible for
paid sick leave in most places I know.  And if you're hiring lots
of temporary workers you want people who will show up - if there
are more applicants than there are jobs most managers will choose
to hire workers who can be relied on to show up.  It's not as if
people are being fired from permanent positions - temp contracts
are generally on a week-to-week (or even day-to-day) basis.
Failing to renew a contract is not the same as firing somebody.

Not that I'm saying the article is totally without substance. But
it looks to me like tabloid journalism, not news reporting.