On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 10:05:50AM -0600, William Robb scripsit:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Graydon"
> Subject: Re: DA* 55/1.4 vs 50/1.2
>> So I expect that a 31 replacement is going to be preferred by Pentax in
>> terms of "the best lens we can build".
>
> Now if we can only talk them into building a camera in the same terms.

Well, it's really "best lens we can afford to build" or "best camera we
can afford to build"; I strongly suspect the K10D was a serious gamble
in that respect.

There's also the problem that cameras are now consumer electronic
devices; total product lifetimes around 18 months.  The engineering
cultural change to deal with that is a drastic thing to get through, and
not every organization that attempts this manages to do so.  (Just the
increase in parts count can kill you.)

If total worldwide sales of the K10D and K20D are, oh, 100,000, Pentax
can expect to sell about 15,000 KxDs; that, whatever the real numbers
are, may simply not be enough.

One interpretation of their effort to expand their customer base
generally arises from this; they don't have one that's large enough for
the best camera they can afford to build to be any much better than the
K20D, and they want to change that.

I am nearly certain I would prefer the Pentax take on that best camera
to the Samsung take on it, but I am also quite sure that Samsung already
knows how to do the consumer electronics product life cycle and that if
Pentax goes under no one else will ever make lenses like that again.

So I really really *don't* want Pentax making something they can't sell
enough of.

-- Graydon