Hi Paul ...

To me it's not a given, as it seems that with landscapes there's often
something in the distance that's part of the scene.  And with landscapes
there are times when parts of a scene are in deep shadow or in bright
light.  Perhaps I am pickier than most, but I want to know exactly what
the range of light is in a scene so that I, not an averaging meter, can
choose where the highlights and shadows will fall.

You are right, however, that when photographing an average scene, and
you are reading the same light that's falling on the subject, an
incident meter will give good results.  However, once you stray from
average, or are photographing a scene that is not in the same light the
meter reads, the incident meter is best replaced with a spot meter.

How would you use an incident meter to photograph a scene when you're a
great distance from the area you want to capture, say a distant mountain
range across a wide valley?  In a situation like that, IMO, only a spot
meter or a TTL meter can be truly dependable.  And if your camera
doesn't happen to have TTL metering, as is the case with many MF and LF
cameras, what then are your options?

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]