Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> How would you use an incident meter to photograph a scene when you're a
> great distance from the area you want to capture, say a distant mountain
> range across a wide valley?  In a situation like that, IMO, only a spot
> meter or a TTL meter can be truly dependable.

I wouldn't use the incident meter in that situation. And if I used the TTL
meter, I'd want to supplement it with a spot meter reading. I recall when I
shot the sunrise on the Minaret Range from Mammoth Mountain, which was at least
some twenty miles away, I used the spot to find the value in various parts of
the range. There was way too much black sky above the mountains and too much
dark valley below them to trust the LX's meter. However, I used the spot meter
reading to determine my exposure compensation number, in respect to the LX
meter reading, then let the LX's OTF metering finsish the job. The discrepancy
wasn't as great as I thought it might be. A half stop at most. But a half stop
can make a difference, even with negative film.
   But the incident meter is a fast and dirty way to handle normal situations.
I've used it with great success.
Paul