Well now, if I was across the valley from what I was photographing and it
was in direct sunlight I would hold my incident meter in direct sunlight
between my camera and the scene with the meter pointed at the camera. If it
was in shadow I would hold the meter in shadow and follow the exact same
procedure as above. But, you say, what if the scene is in direct sun and
there is a cloud or something preventing me from getting a direct sun
reading, I need a spot meter for that don't I? Nope, just close down a
couple of stops from the meter reading and shoot away. The thing is, with a
little experience, you have a good idea of the adjustment needed in just
about any situation. The incident meter gives you the baseline exposure and
experience gives you the proper adjustment.

The standard way to use an incident meter, for the benefit of the original
poster, is to use the dome, hold the meter at the subject, point it at the
camera, and take your reading. The disk is used for light balancing readings
which are usually only used with artificial lighting though they can
sometimes be useful in other situations. The incident meter used with the
dome, as mentioned above, gives you the equivalent of a gray card reading
without the fuss and bother. Experience tells you how to compensate for
different tones, etc.

In fact, unless you are doing custom processing of your film to rigorous
standards, ala zone system, the incident meter will give you just as
accurate an exposure as a spot meter. Better, if you are not extremely
skilled with that spot meter.

Ciao,
graywolf
[EMAIL PROTECTED]