A couple more comments after readings all posts :)

* I know I don't need GpsBabel but it is easier to plug it rather than
having to mess with the MicroSD card content. Not I don't want to, but
I didn't take time to look into it yet.
Houdah can't find the Garmin directly it seems. So GPSBabel is easier, for now.

* The type of device you chose to use has more undirect consequences
than one might think:

   - A logger is easier to use but most of them have built-in battery
you can't remove. What if it is depleted? Sucks huh? Even if it is
removable, one more charger :(
   - I dunno if some loggers use AA or AAA. That would be an answer.
Autonomy is often questionable (like 5-10 hours max).

   - You may trust a logger green LED  stating it catched satelites, I
really prefer seeing that on a screen. Dunno why, I'm more confident
that way.

   - As some did suggest, you can use smartphones (Blackberries,
iphone 3G etc.) to log GPS positions. The question is: do you want to
risk your phone's battery getting depleted by logging your positions?
I certainly don't but that's just me of course. Also, I may have chose
that if I already had a phone with GPS, much cheaper then.

   - AFAIK most loggers or phones will get basic GPS reception meaning
less accuracy than specific GPS receivers (but is it important for
logging purposes? I dunno).

   - Car GPS devices can often be hacked and used as loggers (as I
wrote already) but internal non removable battery might be annoying.

   - Specific devices will usually stay way longer on batteries. 18-20
hours on two simple AAs are the way to go for me.

   - Maps can be difficult to find or expensive :(

I'm indeed looking at any other software which has been discussed in
this thread. Thanks to everybody for your input.

--
Thibault Massart aka Thibouille