When I got my K10D I conducted a few experiments, and found that
leaving SR enabled while panning was at the worst harmless, and
in fact probably helped to smooth out irregularities in the pan.
Since then the only time I've turned SR off is when shooting on
a tripod (and then only if I remember :-)

The physics of the system supports that position, too. The SR
system is based on accelerometers.  On a smooth hand-held pan
(rotating the entire photographer+camera system round a fixed
point behind the plane of the sensor, but on the lens axis)
there is no acceleration in the plane of the sensor, and so SR
will do nothing except smooth out the panning motion.