From: Adam Maas
MS actually provides software that does something other than wreck
your system. Ain't anywhere near perfect, but it's quite usable for
most people. Symantec sells some prety good stuff, but the only thing
they sell with the Norton name on it that isn't actively destructive
is Norton Ghost (which is a brilliant bit of software and almost makes
up for the rest of the Norton products).

My main problem with M$ programs is they often have "features" that actively hinder me in doing what I want to do, and they don't provide any easily discovered way of turning them off and leaving them turned off.

DoD mandated Micro$oft Word, but I'd have to actively FIGHT the auto-formating features to create a training outline that met Army Standards for the document. I'd turn auto-format functions off, and with every new paragraph Word would turn them back on. Not only turn them back on for the new paragraph, but it would go back and reformat paragraphs I already had completed & formated the way I wanted them.

I never had any problems using Norton AV. But I think Ghost is not originally a Norton product. They acquired it from someone else.

Plus I think the current Norton Ghost isn't even based on the original Ghost program, it's a completely different drive utility program Symantec bought from a different third party and they're just using the Ghost name for it.