On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 5:49 AM, Graydon <gray...@marost.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:17:44PM -0400, Miserere scripsit:
>> On 27 April 2010 22:05, Graydon <gray...@marost.ca> wrote:
>> >
>> [snip] and the sensor won't be either Sony or Samsung.
>>
>> Which basically leaves us with Kodak, who only makes a CCD, not CMOS,
>> FF sensor.
>
> There are others.  They're small and poorly publicly known, but that's
> possibly an advantage for Pentax in their present circumstances.

There's nobody else viable. Some other designs floating around, but
all are at least several years behind state of the art AND lacking in
production capacity,

>> While I'm sure Pentax could do a better job with high ISO than Leica
>> has with the M9, I'd still much rather prefer a Sony sensor. And why
>> did you say Pentax couldn't rely on Sony for sensors?
>
> Because Pentax had serious trouble getting them on time and in
> sufficient quantity, and that was when Sony was just selling them to
> Nikon, not putting them in their own cameras.  Japanese companies do
> not start buying high tech anything from Korean companies without a very
> strong reason.
>
> Sony, as a corporate objective, wants every other DSLR camera maker on
> the planet out of business.  They may not be able to accomplish this but
> they're going to try.  Makes them a bad choice, different business
> division or not within Sony, for a primary provider of a critical part.
>
> -- Graydon

Sony's camera division wants everybody else gone. Sony's semiconductor
division wants the biggest market possible. Camera division is
break-even at best, semiconductor division makes money. Guess which
Sony's head office listens to? Especially after the disastrous sales
year the camera division had (they're in the process of falling behind
Panasonic in sales numbers on the DSLR side of things). Sony's not
monolithic in the least and corporate goals are limited to within each
silo.

Sony now has a track record on how they handle sensors while competing
in the same market. This track record is remarkably non-Evil for Sony.
All of their sensors are now available to 3rd parties when launched,
since the Camera division can't live with Nikon having exclusivity
deals but the Camera Division can't generate enough sales to get their
own exclusivity.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca