On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Mark Roberts <m...@robertstech.com> wrote:
> paul stenquist wrote:
>
>>I have no problem with the Samsung sensor in the K7.
>>The rendering  is excellent and the detail is amazing.
>>I think the low noise at high ISO capability of the
>>Sony sensor may be a tradeoff on lower ISO detail.
>>And I don't know if it's a function of sensor,
>>software or both, but the exposure control of the
>>K7 is the best of any camera by far.
>
> I find this recently fashionable bashing of the Samsung sensor funny.
> It was quite a breakthrough when it appeared and probably the best in
> its class at the time of introduction. It's still a great sensor now,
> IMO - I prefer it over the sensor in the K-X at ISO settings below
> 800, which is all I ever use. If Samsung expanded the same sensor to
> full-frame size I'd happily buy a camera that employed it.

It was good 3 years ago, with excellent resolution and high ISO
performance that was competitive but not best-in-class. It wasn't a
breakthrough, Sony already had the 1st generation of their 12MP part
on the market at that point (albeit as a Nikon exclusive) and that
sensor was comparable to the Samsung in most regards and better in
some.

Today the Samsung sensor is what it is. A good but obsolete part that
is outperformed by current sensors by a fair margin. It's got great
resolution, but that's mostly a function of MP-count and the AA
filter, not sensor tech. Dynamic range is average and high ISO
performance is adequate but lags state of the art by 1-2 stops at high
ISO's. The only development we've seen from Samsung on the part is
upping the read speed to allow 5.2fps, there's been nothing equivalent
to the performance upgrade that Sony's 2nd gen APS-C sensors got.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca