On 2010-06-04 00:23 , John Sessoms wrote:
However the software doesn't give me the choice of NO. It only gives me
the choice to change the configuration so as to make the drive useless
or to cancel.

If this were Windoze software, there would be some way to turn the
software off.

i think this is solvable, but vague descriptions are not going to cut it; obviously your gurus don't even know how to google so let me give you what i've got: first of all i plug multi-format drives into Macs all the time and get no such pop-up -- without the exact message text, it sounds to me like the message that occurs for unformated volumes or volumes whose format Mac OS X can't recognize; the same message can occur on drives with electrical/physical problems or with volume corruption

so why are you getting the message? it might have to do with how La Cie sets up the drive -- La Cie is not the same fantastic vendor it was ten or fifteen years ago, they make futzy drives and i avoid them; is it possible there's an additional partition in an odd format, perhaps one supplied by LaCie? to find out open Disk Utility, click on the drive name in the left column, and click on the Partition tab -- what do you see? also what is the Partition Map Scheme reported toward the bottom of that display? are you on Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6?

btw, are you properly dismounting the drive before removing it?

given the right details i can do some googling for your gurus