You definitely don't need a model release for a picture taken in public and
published in a gallery , a newspaper or a magazine. Thousands of legal
precedents have affirmed that. Even the NY Times, which is hyper cautious
doesn't require that. I shot dozens of people for them at the dream cruise. No
releases. Not even names on some of them. They were published both in the paper
and on a web blog.
Paul