Actually, I work for part of the New York Times and while the newspaper
itself doesn't use model releases all the time - magazines and online
properties owned by NYT that aren't news outlets MUST have model releases.

Even newspapers have been successfully sued when photos are released with
inflammatory and inaccurate captions (such as a person sitting on a park
bench with a caption about bums sleeping in parks).

In the US (it does vary from country to country), you need a model release
(and technically a property release) for almost every photo.  Now, in
practice, photographers are rarely sued (or even asked to take photos down)
when they are published in galleries or personal blogs.  The issues usually
arise when photos are sold and published in magazines or other public
consumption publications (advertisements for example).

There are some exceptions based on photos taken in public places and at
public events.  However, these are poorly defined in the law and judges are
notoriously inconsistent on rulings.  Most judges take the side of the
person photographed without permission, although there have been a few
notable cases where judges sided with the photographer.  One case that was
on the side of the "photographer" actually damaged the image of
photographers in the US.  The judge ruled that it was ok for a man to use a
cell photo to secretly take upskirt photos of women in a mall because the
mall was a public place.  I haven't heard yet about the appeal but I hope
this one is overturned because it has drastic ramifications for privacy
expectations for all of us.