On 18/01/2011 10:46 AM, eckinator wrote:
Yeah. Unfortunately last figure stated for Germany was 89% end up in
household trash. Mercury doesn't react into something harmless in
waste incinerators and cannot be filtered, it goes straight into the
food chain. Politics. You have to wonder.
Ecke

I don't know what the figure would be in Canada, but I suspect higher, we aren't as environmentally conscious as Europeans tend to be. I have a hard time believing that a CFL bulb has a smaller carbon footprint than a hot filament bulb anyway. The things are made in China and shipped to Canada. I suspect our enviro laws won't allow them to be made here. They have more toxins in them, and more materials including electronic circuitry. But they use less electricity to make uglier light which the power companies like since they can get away without improving their infrastructure if they keep consumption down. We have 2 seasons in most of Canada. One season involves heating our houses, which hot filament bulbs help with fairly efficiently, and a season where there is so much daylight that we don't use much artificial light anyway. CFLs make no sense whatsoever, which I suppose is why they are being mandated instead of old style light bulbs (which come from Ontario and are less carbon intensive to build).
Fortunately, LED lights seem to be taking off.

--

William Robb