John,

I don't see much about this subject beyond what I quoted already.
The 4th (2010) edition may have more material on that.

BTW, try from your university/college - it may have access
to this e-book from campus/library:
http://www.netlibrary.com/Reader/ - enter the book title to search

> * Your use is for commercial purposes such as advertising or to sell a
> product or service.
My interpretation (and here is where I am not 100% sure, but suspect
it's the case) is as follows.
You cannot use that photo to advertise (or to sell) anything else, -
e.g. any merchandise with that image would not be legal to sell
without proper release (mugs, shirts, calendars, etc.).

But I wonder if you can sell the photo itself - as a photo
(as long as it was taken legally, - i.e. on a public property,
in a public setting, etc.) ???!
I suspect - not....

P. 11-5: there is a sub-section entitled:
"c. Using Trademarks, Fictional Characters or Celebrities on Merchandise",
but it only mentions the issues when a celebrity plays a fictional
character.
More over, it is not clear to me if a stand-alone photograph ("print")
falls under "merchandise". Probably yes.

At least, on p. 11-6, the book lists "some royalty estimates" for
merchandise:

Greeting cards and gift wrap: 2%-5%
Household (cups, sheets, towels): 3-8%
Fabrics, apparel, decals, bumper stickers : 5-10%
Posters and prints [!]: 10% or more.
<<<<<
(I don't know if prints means photo prints, or anything else.)

Sorry, this may confuse you more then provide light.

Igor

Fri Jan 21 14:24:36 CST 2011