On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 06:11:14PM -0500, Igor Roshchin wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Regarding the last sentence in your comment, more specifically,
> the word "anything".
>  Can you sell merchandise (a T-shirt or a calendar) with a photo of
> a celebrity you snapped on a city street or at a public event?
> The way I read the book (and other materials), - that would be a
> violations of the existing laws.
>
> Igor

It depends.

If it was "J. Random Celebrity on stage at the XYZ street concert"
you'd (probably) be fine.

If, however, the only reason the item was saleable was because it
contained an image of J. Random Celebrity (and the location was,
for all practical purposes, irrelevant), it would be more likely
that this would be viewed as infringing on the commercial rights
of J. Random Celebrity.