On 11-02-12 7:03 AM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
In regard to paper, when printing 8 x 12 images or crops close to
that size, I print two on a sheet of 13 x 19 paper. I use only 13
x 19 paper, and simply cut out the prints, if they're not sized
to use the full sheet. Like Bob, I don't always crop to a
standard size. But for photos that are intended for sale, it's
much more economical to buy pre-cut mats than to have custom mats
cut, so I tend to plan ahead and shoot to a standard size.
Paul

I bought a Logan mat cutter that handles standard 40" mat board. Now
all my mats are custom, though I still use off-the-shelf frames.

http://www.logangraphic.com/products/boardmounted/intermediate.shtml

I found it only takes about $10 of wasted board to master the cutter.
:-)

The advantages are: print shots to whatever size and aspect ratio I
want (I don't own a printer and the service I use prints on
continuous roll-paper); produce more interesting mats (for example,
by using black-core board); my mats are about 1/4 the cost of
off-the-shelf.

I also use the Logan mat cutter and a friend pointed me towards a nice little program to use with it; Matworks by Giorgio Trucco. I think I've mentioned it here before.

http://www.gt-photography.com/matworks.html

It's a fairly simple, intuitive interface and gives you the settings you need for the mat cutter to produce the opening you want. Plug the numbers in & click calculate.

Gives you dimensions for back mat, single mat, & double mat ... centered, bottom weighted & double bottom weighted. Printable so you can tape a diagram to the wall above the mat cutter.

It gives dimensions for everything in decimal fractions of an inch, but there's a conversion table in the interface.

-----
No virus found in this message.