Bob W.,
You were good in math.  Surely you know that the only form of precise
communications is the mathematical formula.  It works because we have
precise rules and definitions we have agreed upon in advance.
Coming from mathematics to language, I find language a very frail and
clumsy way to communicate.  Perhaps this is why gesture and facial
expressions are such an integral part of successful communications.
And why face-to-face communications are so superior to other forms.
Regards, Bob S.