On 2/25/2011 1:53 AM, Bob W wrote:
The relative merits of mathematics and natural language aren't relevant
here, nor am I suggesting to Boris that his normal writing is clumsy or that
he needs to be more precise. On the contrary, it is Boris who is worried
about the quality of his writing and inventing obscure ways of trying to
explain to us what his writing is already telling us.

Thanks, Bob.

that's as may be, but we're not in a face-to-face situation. We're on a
mailing list so writing is all we've got. These 'metamessages' that Boris
has been adding to his normal writing are just another form of writing, but
rather than helping to get his message across they are hindering it. For
some reason known only to Boris he has decided that traditional writing is
inadequate and that he can invent a better system.

My message to Boris is this: Boris, your writing is fine. You don't need all
the encrustations - they just make it worse.

Well, then logically (given that under present circumstances logic is not part of math) if I want to improve, it will have to be purely the language.

Bob (W), you should know by now that I am perfectionist. I am noticing that as time passes it becomes worse. Each time I have to admit that I misunderstood the other person or point out that they misunderstood me makes me feel bad. And these "times" are not passing if you know what I mean.

Nothing prevents me to resolve not to use emoticons yet another round over and see if it leads me anywhere.

Boris