On Apr 13, 2011, at 3:00 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:

> Bob W wrote:
>
>>> Larry Colen l...@red4est.com sent from i4est
>>
>>> I have more than a little temptation to comment on how his essay has
>>> provoked an interesting discussion on snob appeal vs. talent, or at
>>> least to challenge him to a photo competition, my 64 year old,
>>> unadjusted Argus C3 brick against his Leica M3.  However given the
>>> subjective aspect of photographic quality, it isn't nearly so cut and
>>> dried as asking whether I'd be able to keep up with him around the
>>> racetrack in his Porsche while driving my Dodge Van.
>>
>> I've used an Argus brick which is probably now 60+ years old, although it
>> was nearly 30 years ago that I used it. And I have a Leica M3 which is 52
>> years old.
>>
>> I can categorically assure you that the M3 is better than the Argus in all
>> respects expect brickiness.
>
> Where do you stand on the Porsche vs. Dodge Van question?

The first time I drove a Dodge van on the track, I was turning faster laptimes
in my van than I had been in my Corolla. I was also turning faster laptimes
than one of the students in his second generation MR2. I did realize that if I
rolled the toyota up into a little ball I could tow it home in the van, the
function was not commutable.

The one time I drove my current van on the track, I had to drive so slow so
that my current student could keep up, I have no idea as to it's performance
abilities.

I don't have any direct experience with a Dodge Van and a Porsche, but I did
have a student once, who by the end of the day was keeping up with my Honda
stationwagon in his carrera 4.  Some years back, Grassroots Motorsports did a
laptime comparison between a Honda Odyssey and a Jaguar E-type on an autocross
course. The Odyssey was substantially faster.

In any case, depending on the van, the porsche and the racetrack, there's a
good chance that I could turn a faster laptime than him, if I were in a Dodge
Van and he were in a Porsche. Given drivers of equal skill, and a 1/2 ton van
with a 360 and swaybars versus a 914/1.8 and upgraded swaybars, I wouldn't be
surprised if the van took on the porsche.