Morn, Thomas. :-)

I'm not a mac user, but I agree with Godfrey. Aperture can be a good
place to start and seem to be a lot of software for the money. The
other alternatives mentioned are good programs too; Lightroom and
Photoshop Elements. There are others too. Like LightZone
(http://www.lightcrafts.com) and the much denigrated Pentax Digital
Camera Utility which you already own.

On the pricey end of things you can buy separate software for editing
and archiving, but that's not as interesting IMHO.

Whatever the size of your wallet, you will find that the various
options have quite different workflows in mind for the photographers.
Take PhaseOne's Raw1, for example. It is explicitly developed for
commercial shoots, to facilitate a workflow that goes:
1. shoot a flood of images on location
2. flip through all of them fast to find the keepers
3. do some basic processing
4. send them off to customer
5. offload batch into archive at night

I guess most of us hardly have one specific sequence of activities in
our workflow like Raw1 assumes. Sometimes we don't have the time to
sort the images just after a shot. Sometimes we want to do more than
basic processing. Sometimes we need to backup before doing anything
else. The option to be totally undiciplined is one of the true
blessings of hobby photography. :-)

So my advice for you is to look less at the overkill of features, and
more at the general interface of the software. Pick one that you find
pleasing to work with for your normal routines. For the features you
don't use often, it's important that you don't have to struggle (too
much anyway) to find what you're looking for. If you're happy with the
general interface, chances are better to find what you need when you
need it.

Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/