I have the * 50-135mm.
It failed a few weeks after the warranty period.
The SDM died.
Until that time I have not used it for more than a couple of times
(less than ten, I believe).
Unfortunately, Pentax strictly forbids using it as a screw driven lens
on recent bodies.
The screw drive mechanism sits there in perfect order but this does
not make one happy!

Optically, it is simply superb.

Ergonomically, it is fine.

Autofocus is not stellar (slow), SDM (at least as implemented on this
lens) is terrible.

I have dropped mine a few months after it was fixed in Germany.
Now, it is my most expensive manual zoom lens :(

Bulent
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bc_the_path/
http://photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=2226822
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/bulentcelasun