On 2011-06-28 15:38 , Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
That's interesting. How do you have "w/o Flash"?

there are a few ways to do it, in my case i have the YouTube5 extension, which sends a user-agent string (i assume) to YouTube and Vimeo that convinces them Flash is not installed, so that they serve up the HTML5 versions of the videos

for other sites, i am also using Click2Flash plug-in, which basically replaces all Flash with a script that allows me to load the Flash on demand, eliminating all Flash advertising (and a few hackish typographical and menu-type things); now and the i load flash in Safari, but usually i bump Flash-required sites over to Chrome, where each tab is a process so Flash can't kill the browser

I just checked Safari's plug-ins and it lists
   Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102 — from file “Flash Player.plugin”
which is installed by default.

i've got 10.2.159.1 fwiw; i have the current 10.3 installer queued up, and i'd be more fastidiously up-to-date if i hadn't hobbled Flash because of threats like these:

<http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Adobe-Patches-XSS-ZeroDay-Flaw-in-Flash-Used-in-Google-Gmail-Attack-166249/>

same shorter: <http://bit.ly/kT7tsq>

I'm running Safari 5.0.5 on Mac OS X 10.6.8. I don't know which
version (flash or HTML5) I'm seeing, how do you tell?, but it's the
same as what I see in Firefox.

when YouTube loads the HTML5 version, it displays a badge on the video that says something like "use original player" to revert to the Flash version (except on iOS); the controls are also a little different, but i don't recall exactly how