On 8/18/2011 17:47, Joseph McAllister wrote:
On Aug 18, 2011, at 11:48 , Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 5:55 AM, Ann Sanfedele<ann...@nyc.rr.com>  wrote:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Thief-Jacks-Car-With-Kids-Poodle-Drops-Them-All-Off-at-Home-127999188.html

There seems to be a rash of totally inept criminals lately. They pop
up on the morning news here at least once a week. Where the heck are
today's Lex Luthors?

Joining the ranks of inept is the bicycle riding junkie who reached into my car's window
and unlocked it, scooped the roll worth of quarters from the change tray, opened the
center console and snatched my wallet with it's contents of a single $20 bill, every
credit card, every ID, and every piece if paper that I live by, Drivers License, VA ID,
AARP, Medicare, VFW, American Legion, Sierra Club, WWF, a card of "forever"
stamps, Costco Card and a few coupons for 50 free prints. Then he grabbed my last pair of
prescription sunglasses in their aluminum case. Not a huge amount of monitary value, but
days with no money to spend, and weeks to replace everything that I can think of that was
in the wallet.

All the while standing under the doughnut shops security camera . Granted, it
took me six of the seven days the security system retains before it's written
over to get the cops to actually go look at the images. They, and the shop's
employees, recognized the guy as a regular customer who rides his bike to buy a
doughnut  about every day.

This just a few weeks after "Billy Bob", the dude who was working to get my old Dodge,
totaled by Farmer's last spring, back into streetable shape, abandoned the shop he was working out.
The owner kicked him out when he got over $3000 behind in his rent. On his way out he apparently
took some tools that weren't his too. He had already had several tools and electronics of mine
"disappear" from the car. He was going to buy the car off me for $500 once he had it
fixed up so he'd have something to drive.

Well, he does now. He never came back, so my car and "Billy Bob" are in the
wind. The police won't take a report that car was stolen because I gave him a key to move
it around while he was fixing it. So I had to report my tools and electronics missing to
my homeowners insurance, so they would report the car as stolen. Because it was totaled
by Farmers, it is illegal to drive on the road, has no insurance, and the plates expire
in December.

That's my August so far. How was yours?

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

I had to replace my refrigerator - thought that was bad until I read your story! :-) seriously... you need a very large virtual hug

ann