Great to know that this seems to be a universal pastime. I blew
upquite a number of mailboxes in my youth. Most of them were mounted
on walls and would more or less just fall off and be bent out of
shape. In one instance however, we took matters too far by blasting a
blockof three mailboxes out of a wall. Those were cheap enameled
mailboxes in a painted wall. We were watched and ratted on and took a
great deal of hell for it. The owners were rather easygoing about the
damage though. As it turned out they ripped off their insurance and
got themselves nice brass mailboxes in a white marble plate so they
weren't all too sad. Oh and I did manage to stop my buddy who was
wanting to blow up a /public/ mailbox full of letters waiting to be
collected...

But all this can't beat my neighbor (now deceased) who as a little box
after the end of WW2 wanted to punish a neighbor for mistreating his
parents and blew up their mailbox. Problem was he used an altered 88
mm flak grenade and there were no windows left intact hundreds of
meters around so him and his parents got in big trouble...