Yeah, seems a shame the Navy had that view all  to themselves for years.
Heh.

Can't remember how long ago now, but the  base was closed (8-10 years).
Part of the newer condos/apartments are occupied  by civilians. One side of the
island, near the Golden Gate end. The rest is  rotting buildings. Some of
the civilians may have lived there to begin with,  others moved in.

Several years back (I am bad on dates), SF drew up plans  to make it sort
of an arts/cultural center, with housing for people as well. It  was supposed
to have a major rebuild. Then the economy went blooey. So I suppose  those
plans are on hold.

However, now they may never go forward. It is  predicted that climate
change will raise sea levels by three feet in the next  thirty years. That
would
be too much for Treasure Island. SF did hold a contest  about a year ago
(again I am vague on when, but I saw the plans in the SF  Chronicle) for young
architects to draft plans to build a sea wall around SF  (the land fill
end), or find another use for the land fill when the sea level  rises. So SF,
generally, is taking the sea level rise seriously. Which, if it  actually
does, may totally recast plans for Treasure Island. So basically I  think,
right
now, any plans are on the back burner and also very subject to  change.

Marnie

In a message dated 8/27/2011 6:48:35 A.M. Pacific  Daylight Time,