On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:54:55AM -0300, luiz felipe wrote:
> Just found a MZ-3 offer at acceptable price, and I like the idea of
> keeping a film body around for moments when risk of theft of the KR
> is high - currently a job done by an EOS 500n.
>
> The MZ-3 looks the MZ-5 with DOF preview and a higher top shutter
> and X sync speeds. I'm betting the overall feel and almost all of
> the results will be pretty much the same, but since they came some
> time apart, maybe they present some other diffs. Maybe faster AF, or
> shorter shutter lag - I understand they have diff shutters.
>
> So, any hands-on experience on both cameras? Second to that, is
> there any source of info on shutter lag for the MZ-3 and MZ-5? Any
> comments on the MZ-3? Boz's site shows it to be slightly diff from
> the MZ-5 in form of grip, so maybe it's significantly better than
> the MZ-5 - I did have one MZ-5 for a time so I'm using it as
> reference.

IIRC, the MZ-3 was the final incarnation of the MZ-5/MZ-5n series,
with incremental improvements in every model. It was initially only
available in Japan (fueling a thriving trade in grey-market imports).
[I know the MZ-S was a later, higher-specced camera, but that was in a
very different body; the MZ-3 is very similar in appearance to a MZ-5]

I'd be very surprised if the MZ-3 wasn't at least as good as a MZ-5n
on every scale of measurement, and significantly better in some areas.