If you have to deal with me, you're SOL, buddy...
CW

On 12/22/2011 11:28 AM, Cotty wrote:
On 22/12/11, Dario Bonazza, discombobulated, unleashed:

1 - I'd like a directional mic for recording at a concert, hopefully getting
music instead of public noise.

Mate, I hate to say this but with a cheap and cheerful camera-mounted
3.5mm jack unbalanced mic, you are not going to get the sound you think
you are! I use a Sennheiser MKH-416 mic - one of the very best (if not
the best) directional microphones and when I am shooting at a concert,
the only way to get decent sound is to forget that and plug up to the
sound mixer's outputs! Usually they are very polite but sometimes you
get a Cory Waters to deal with ------->  ;-)

However, I appreciate that you are simply wanting to record ambient
audio, so working within those limitations - and once you have got a mic
you are happy with (and hopefully Rob or Cory might be able to advise on
the impedance question you have elsewhere in this thread) then I would
make sure you sit well back and in the middle somewhere if the speakers
are either side of the stage. I suspect that because concerts like to
churn it out loud, and with no way of adjusting the input level
manually, let alone monitoring it, you will find the automatic gain
control in the camera - if indeed it has one - will be struggling to
compensate. In extreme cases you get a 'pumping' effect which, when
listened to later, will cause you to ram empty wine bottles in your ears
in despair! That's if you can make out the pumping music through the
mini-jack hum.

But be positive :-) Good luck!

--

Cheers,