From: Tom C

http://www.popphoto.com/gallery/18th-annual-readers-photo-contest

8x10 film
And a $2700 lens that is the equiv. of the Pentax 15mm rectilinear on
a full frame 35mm.
And clearly post-processed (very well).

Still, I'm happy to see a film shot get such an award. And it is a
stunning image.

Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska

That's definitely a stunning scene and a night shot at that. I didn't
know there were geysers anywhere besides the Yellowstone Basin in the
continental US. I'll have to check how far away this. Likely just as
far, or further, than Yellowstone which is about 8 hours. A Nevada
site may be more accessible in winter though. Thanks for sharing.

Tom C.

There were apparently geyser fields at Steamboat Springs and Beowawe in Nevada up until the 1980s & 1990s. They were destroyed by drilling to create geothermal power plants.

There are other minor geyser fields in the Western US. I think they're all outliers of whatever created Yellowstone.