On 26/12/2011 10:04 PM, Darren Addy wrote:
I'm mostly view-camera illiterate, so I'm sure a more informed voice
could chime in here, but I'm seeing that "maximum coverage" is
achieved on some lenses only when stopped down significantly. On a
camera with rise, swing and tilt capability, I'm guessing that
"maximum coverage" could only be achieved with the lens and film back
parallel (I'm sure someone will correct me if that is inaccurate).

I think all lenses do get an increased image circle as it is stooped down. Generally this is only important to the large format user who depends on a large image circle to allow the use of camera movements. Often, in order to cover the entire format when using significant tilt of the lens or shifting of the lens or film, the lens also needs to be stopped down to secure coverage of the corners of the film

--

William Robb