On Mar 22, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Miserere wrote:

> Apologies if this was already posted, but I didn't see it mentioned.
>
> Our long-lost president, Ned Bunnell, has resurfaced. He is well,
> healthy, and turns out he'd been hiding out in his California home
> taking photos of his dog using the K-01 + 31 Ltd. I could think of
> many worse fates that could have befallen him (though none that
> include a camera). I like the way the focus peaking is implemented in
> the K-01. Maybe Godfrey can tell us if it works well in real life as I
> believe it's the same method used in the Ricoh GXR.
>
> -- Feedback from K-01 Test Drive at A+R:
>   http://nedbunnell.posterous.com/feedback-from-k-01-test-drive-at-ar

OMFG, I don't doubt that the K-01 performs incredibly well, but...

> The camera is shockingly easy to use, one of those cameras that turns any
> user–even the most basic user–into a professional photographer: it’s a camera
> that definitely would scare photographers, concerned that their profession is
> in jeopardy.

Actually, yes, the profession is in jeopardy.

> One of the craziest features on the camera is that it has the “40mm Pancake
> Lens,” which is the world’s slimmest lens.

I don't know if I'd call the lens crazy, but it should be very nice.  I know
how quickly I grew to love my DA40.

The article reads like someone who has never used a real camera before.
Compared to iPhones and compact point and shoots, the performance of the K-01
should blow them right out of the water.  Considering that the author of this
article is squarely in the target demographic of the K-01, their enthusiasm for
it bodes well.

> -- K-01 with DA, FA Lenses
>   http://nedbunnell.posterous.com/k-01-with-da-fa-lenses
>
> -- K-01 Focus Peaking
>   http://nedbunnell.posterous.com/k-01-focus-peaking

Very cool.  It's too bad that Pentax will never offer that as a firmware
upgrade on the K-5. The sensor and processor probably could not handle it.

This is a very telling statement:
Hi Steve, it's probably better to say the still image quality of K-01 is very
close to the K-5, but what's different with this sensor is that it's optimized
for video. Hope this helps. Ned

> There are a few more posts about the K-01, but these seemed like the
> most interesting.

Despite the constant background of "this isn't the camera I want, so nobody
will buy it", I think that the K-01 could do well.

It has some very nice features, and  I could see that it could do some things
much better than the K-5, such as manual focusing in low light (that focus
peaking looks very interesting), as well as video.  If I have real income in a
year, I might even look at trading in the storm trooper on one, especially if
they come out with a fast wide lens for it.