The caveat here that if you're grown up enough you can agree to limit some of your privacy by choosing to sign an agreement. Now if the 'good' that may come to you is attractive enough (e.g. you won't be facebook-less outcast) you will sign it anyway. And since the state has so much to gain from 'partnering' with facebook, they won't interfere... And so you will soon enough arrive at things such as instagram mishap.

By the way it occurs to me that if instagram really decided to be truly communistic, it would say something like this - by uploading your pics to us you give up all the rights - we can use them as we please, but in return you can use pictures of any other user for any purpose whatsoever. Of course that's not gonna happen, ever.

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On December 19, 2012 3:08:21 PM John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
From: Doug Franklin
> On 2012-12-18 23:23, Tom C wrote:
>> In what way I ask. There's certainly much I don't know. Are you
>> referring to the concept of personal privacy or the state of personal
>> privacy (i.e. the ease with which it can be invaded and trampled
>> upon)?  I understand privacy can be invaded in any number of ways, but
>> never in human history have major portions of populations, via
>> technology, enabled powers to clandestinely track them, including
>> their whereabouts, contacts, purchases, transactions, etc.
>
> If I understand the argument correctly, it's about expectation of
> privacy.  The argument seems to go along the lines of how, outside
> fairly recent Western societies, privacy didn't really exist due to the
> living conditions, to the extent that no one really thought much about
> it, much less agonized over whether it was a right, a privilege, a
> circumstance, or a symptom.

I would argue that it dates back at least into the 17th Century. The
writings of the Enlightenment philosophers & scientists clearly had
profound effect upon the founding fathers and are reflected in the
Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights.

The right to privacy is implicit in the 3rd & 4th Amendments and to a
lesser extent in the 5th & 6th.