On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 02:23:12PM -0800, Larry Colen wrote:

> > Joseph McAllister wrote:

> >>Put more sky into your compositions. That'll get rid of 8-10 Mb!
> >
> > Yep, the K-5 writes *compressed* DNG format. Compression yields
> > smaller files with less detailed subjects. Higher ISO settings yield
> > more noise and thus larger files, too.
>
> I needed to shoot DNG for an event and found something annoying.
>
> I normally add a digit to the file index using the fourth character of the
> name, so 7043 becomes LRC37043.PEF, but if I shoot in DNG I lose the
> fourth character, it becomes _LRC7043.DNG.

It's your own fault for having three initials!

Are you sure this is the K5 you're talking about?  That's how my K10D behaves,
but on the K5 I don't get that leading underscore on the name.

I set the prefix on my K5 to "K5_0" (at least for the first 10000 exposures),
and when I look in a random image directory I see K5_01396.JPG & K5_01396.DNG