> On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 02:23:12PM -0800, Larry Colen wrote:

>> I normally add a digit to the file index using the fourth character of
>> the
>> name, so 7043 becomes LRC37043.PEF, but if I shoot in DNG I lose the
>> fourth character, it becomes _LRC7043.DNG.
>
> It's your own fault for having three initials!

Actually, it's my parents' fault.  I could go with just two, but I don't
want people to get in the habit of calling me Elsie.  I am many things,
but a cow isn't one of them.

> Are you sure this is the K5 you're talking about?  That's how my K10D
> behaves,
> but on the K5 I don't get that leading underscore on the name.

Yup, can't change the filename on the K-x and the K-5 was my only other
camera last summer.  It's possible that it was triggered by sRGB rather
than DNG, but I thought either one did it.

> I set the prefix on my K5 to "K5_0" (at least for the first 10000
> exposures),
> and when I look in a random image directory I see K5_01396.JPG &
> K5_01396.DNG

I'll have to double check on that.  In any case, my theory is that I'll
shoot in PEF and keep those files as backups someplace.  Eventually, I'll
use lightroom to convert them to DNGs for portability.

One of my first big purchases when I start getting paychecks will probably
be a drobo of some kind, and I may just do the conversion by having
lightroom write my "everything catalog" to the new disk farm as DNGs.

--
l...@red4est.com via squirrelmail