On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Aahz Maruch <a...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013, Bruce Walker wrote:
>>
>> Zos, eyebrows are my litmus test for system sharpness. Get a well-lit
>> headshot of somebody and examine their eyebrows. You should clearly
>> see the individual hairs. Any time I handhold to get such a shot the
>> eyebrows are invariably a gaussian smear. You cannot do clean
>> retouching of such images.
>>
>> I can show you a 100% crop of my model's eyebrows from the last beauty
>> shots I took using a tripod with my K20D and DA* 50-135. Clear, sharp,
>> detailed. I defy you to get that clarity handheld, no matter the
>> shutter speed.
>
> Let's make sure we're testing the same thing.  What percent of frame
> should the person's head be?  Any other requirements?

You want this to be scientific? This is The Internet. :-)

Well, the shot I have In Support of Tripod Use is this recent one:

http://flic.kr/p/f2Kebj

Obviously head fills the frame, landscape. Camera was about 8-9 feet
away, 135mm at F8.0, ISO 200.

Probably not the best tripod for the task, the ball head is a bit
light for the DA* 50-135 + K20D: Manfrotto 190XproB, 486RC2 head.

Here's a 100% crop of her right eyebrow and eyelashes:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2254722/PDML/BMW_8026-crop.tif

It's an 8-bit TIFF, exported from the original RAW shot in Lightroom
4. Lr's default zeroed settings except WB: flash and the default RAW
sharpening of 25.

--
-bmw