On Sun, Dec 08, 2013 at 04:11:29PM -0500, knarf wrote:
> Yes, I said that, and of course:
>
> 1) I was talking about adults, although lord knows kids much younger than her
> have been sexualized through kiddie beauty pageants and the like, and,
>
> 2) I was talking about society's view of nudity not my personal view.
>
> That being said there is obviously nothing wrong or sexual about this photo.
>
> Sometimes I think that people do crap like this in hopes that some people
> will get all up-in-arms and yell and scream about political correctness run
> amok. So yes, an obviously stupid decision that we can all tut-tut about and
> shake our heads at and wonder what the hell they were thinking.

I think that in this case it was a mom showing off a cute picture of her
daughter.

> But in the end what does it mean or prove? And what does it have to do with
> our earlier thread on nudity and sexualization and disparity in gender
> portrayals?

There are people who can sexualize *anything*, and if we let the attitudes
of the few dictate the actions of the many, then nobody can do anything.

> Here's a question you may want to ask: would we all be crowing were this a
> photo of a 21 year old with a skinny waist and 36 inch bustline? Would anyone
> dare say there's nothing sexual about that photo?

If a photo of a bare chested 21 year old man can be not sexual, then one
of a 21 year old woman can also be not sexual. There are people that would
sexualize one of Darby's street photos of a pretty girl smoking more than
they would of the same girl topless in a recreation of the photo I linked to.

Don't believe me? google "smoking fetish" sometime and see what you get.

I think that the situation with this particular photo is that facebook's
system is entirely automated, and all it takes is a few people reporting
a photo for it to automatically be taken down, with no sentient oversight.

It's almost enough to make someone want to start a campaign to get people
to start flagging photos of christmas decorations as inappropriate.

--
Larry Colen                  l...@red4est.com         http://red4est.com/lrc