Thanks John, that is the same guide I used yesterday :)  It's a real pain to
get out but not as bad as if I'd had a dual-processor model.

I had a go at removing the motherboard this morning and that's even worse - I
eventually gave up on it.

I've found a local auction for an old G5 iMac currently sitting at $25 but I'm
not sure whether I'll have a nibble at it.

Dave