Mark,

At first, I was shocked to see your "travel-light" list in the original message. :-)
I wondered what would've been the "travel-heavy" version of that... ;-)

However, when I saw you were traveling by car, I thought it isn't a big deal. The only thing I would be concerned (and that has been discussed already in the subsequent postings) is about things being stolen from the car.
With an adequate insurance, I wouldn't worry about that much myself.[*]

If I am traveling by car, I sometimes take my Tamrac 5612 Pro 12 full
with gear, but then use a smaller shoulder bag to put in it what I need for the moment.
Otherwise, when I am flying I usually have:
1 body (k5-IIs at the moment), and
17-70/4
50-135/2.8
35/1.8
77/1.8
50/1.4
(all Pentax lenses)
Metz flash

From this "kit", I found that 50/1.4 was the least used lens.
On my latest trip, I didn't use it until my the second to the last day,
where I went to see some circus show and took some photos with that.

For me, 35 and 17-70 are the most used in cities. I pull out 50-135
or 77 when I am shooting portraits (Usually, 77 for the low-light situations).

I used to carry Pentax 18-250 (instead of, and before 17-70), but found that I seldom used the longer end while doing "sightseeing", and for that reason prefer the image quality of the 17-70). I still take 18-250 ocassionally, when I am expecting needing a longer lens. But if I am with the car, I take 60-250 in those cases.

Occasionally, when I expect the need for a longer lens, I take my Pentax x1.7 adapter, but I found I seldom use it.

In the past year, on some trips, I've been taking my 8mm Samyang fisheye, when I was expecting some fun shots.

--------
[*] I know a guy who went to one of the Antarctica cruizes, and when the ship sunk, so did all guy's photo gear. THe insurance company was refusing to pay him, claiming that the amount (and the cost) of gear would mean that he guy was a professional, and so it would not be covered by the personal-property rider of his insurance. In the end he did get some money from the insurance but not all.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your trip!

Igor