Thanks a lot to all who responded on and off the list.

I hope it was clear that my statement in the subject was a bit facetious.
I like digital photography (and the camera I currently have, k-5 IIs),
It enabled many things that were unavailable (that easily) to me during the film era. But some aspects of it bring up the issues described in the original message.

I appreciate many different thoughts and suggestions. Some (many) of those I've been using for long time. But a few suggestions helped me in improving my work flow. In particular, the idea of rating the image with 1-5 stars is helpful. In most cases, I was just sorting them out with
select/reject flags. THe downside of those in insufficient granularity,
and the fact that those are "local variable", i.e. they apply only to the particular collection and do not show in a different collection if the photo is included in more than one collection, or even in the original folder.

In the past week, I've adopted the following star rating:
 1 star - bad, can be deleted. (but I keep the original on the HDD)
 2 stars - barely OK , will not be used for the project, but I might
 3 stars - OK for the project, and might be included in the final set
(depending on the project), if I don't have all that I need in 4+ -starred photos. 4 stars - photos will be in the final set for the project (unless a duplicate for another 4+ star photo) 5 stars - 4 stars plus a possible value for other projects (e.g. overall great photograph that I might print or work more on in the future). Absence of a star rating is not a bad thing, but just the fact that the file hasn't been rated (or hasn't been rated yet.)
I don't have philosophical issues with the "stars" (or quasars), and
I consider the ratings system described above somewhat similar to
Yelp star rating, where "1" means "awful", and "2" means "bad".
That's a very typical system for many evaluations on the 1-5 scale (very bad, bad, neutral, good, very good).

As you can see these ratings are project-oriented but with the idea
of keeping these ratings uniform across projects so that I can go back
and find the best photos in the older projects for a new project.
E.g. when I need to do a slide show on a particular topic, I can quickly choose photos from several different past projects (e.g. events) that
are alread rated at 5, or sometimes 4.

Let me share back some of my organizational practices (in case they would be useful to others): I do use the colors for some specific purposes, but those are usually inconsistent, and not used too frequently.

My folders on the HDD are already sorted by years and (most of the time)
for separate events. I use "collections" for two main purposes:
1. to select photos for a specific project (or event) and to prepare
web-galleries.
Occasionally, for some special projects, I create a separate catalog
(either from the beginning, from the moment of importing photos into LR,
or later on, by exporting some collections as a catalog).

One of my concerns is that as the main catalog grows, at some point
it contributes to some slugishness. So, I've been considering starting
a new "main" catalog, but I haven't decided on that. I might do that
at the point of installing the new version of LR.
I am also considering adopting  something similar to what Larry described
with respect to the catalogs.

As for committments, - I am avoiding those. Bbut even when there is no formal committment, after shooting at some event (e.g. scientific conference) I've had people asking and reminding me that some photos haven't been posted every time they see me. And, occasionally, I either agree to provide photos, or feel that doing that would be benefitial professionally [in my day job], frequently for networking purposes. I am sure some of PDMLers are familiar with such situations.

Attila: I don't start processing photos until the photographs are completely imported (and the previews are generated), as otherwise, the computer are too sluggish. Other people on the list have written here about the same experience previously. Often, after a coming back from a trip with many photos, I set up the import before going to bed, and let it running for several hours. THe inconvenience of that is that you cannot queue tasks in LR (at least in LR 3.x and 4.x, don't know about 5.x). LR always runs the jobs in parallel, and if those jobs are similar in nature (different imports or generation of different web-galleries), it's inefficient, and occasionally LR gets stuck.

Again, thanks to all for the thoughtful discussion and helpful ideas!

Igor