I have several relatives and friends who are involved in various creative
artwork, mostly hobbyists. Painters, weavers, basket makers, quilters,
stitchers, etc. Once you have made your first 100-150 baskets you will have
given several to all friends and relatives, filled up your own house, and every
time you have the itch to start a new project you have this worry about storage
space. How many paintings can fit in one person's house? Same problem with
pots, sculptures, etc. etc. You and I, on the other hand, have the luxury of
storing our art as teeny-weeny electronic thingies on some discs and you think
you have a problem?!? (;-)>

But as to your question:

1. Take fewer pictures. Be more selective. Use a tripod.
2. Do a quick run-through of your images as soon as possible. Give a 1 rating
to keepers, skip the rest. If and when you have time, you can re-review the
zeros and verify tht there are no keepers in that bunch, but meanwhile you have
established a basic (smaller) set to work with.
3. Sometime later, sort out the 1's, go through those and give a 2 to any you
might work with in the near future to satisfy those nagging commitments.
4. When you have time to work with your 2's, upgrade them to 3, 4, or 5
depending on how thrilled you are with them after you've done what you could to
them in post processing.
5. Make a Collection of your higher rated ones from an event so you can quickly
find and distribute shots to others. When you re-visit that event 6 months
later, don't look at the whole set, just look at those in the collection. The
only time to go back to the zeros, 1's, or 2's is a) if you are bored and need
something to fiddle with for the evening, or b) you realize that a specific
pereson or other subject doesn't show up in any of the higher rated shots.
6. Try to avoid commitments in the first place!

stan