if Lik's message sells photo, then it’s a good one. I sometimes hustle photos
when I shoot cars for publications. The owners will be much more likely to buy
if I praise their car and tell them I’m going to make a print for myself.
“Would you like one as well?” On a $1200 shoot for Mopar Action, I usually sell
$2000 worth of photos.

I think there are perhaps two PDML members who are as skillful as Lik. I won’t
name them, but I will say that I’m certainly not one of them. I know when I’m
outclassed. He’s a damn good photographer, and if he can sell his work, more
power to him. I don’t think he should say that it’s a good investment, but it’s
okay to say that it might be a good investment. I haven’t seen his pitch, so I
don’t know.

If you’re a photo hobbyist, you don’t have to worry about salesmanship, but if
you intend to earn a living at photography, you have to be a businessman, and
given how hard it is to sell photos, you better have a real good story.  I earn
a very good living selling communications, although the vast majority of it is
copy, not photography. But it still requires working the beat and salesmanship.

Paul