Ken Waller wrote:
However, if one of his shots with the 645Z were to make it into the
PDML annual, I don't think that it would stand out as any better than
most of the other landscape photos.

The difference is he is a well known name if photographic circles and as
far as I know none on the PDML'ers are.

I am somewhat conflicted over his separating suckers from their money
by selling his photos as an artwork investment.

So I assume if someone were to offer you an ungodly amount for one of
your images you'd refuse !

It's not so much that people offer him that sort of money for his photos, but that they are told that the photos are a good investment, when in reality, they are nearly guaranteed to lose money:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/business/peter-liks-recipe-for-success-sell-prints-print-money.html

Here is another interesting article:
http://scottreither.com/blogwp/2012/06/11/peter-lik-gallery-photographer-my-story/

--