From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Daniel J. Matyola
Sent: Monday, 6 July 2015 11:18 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: PESO: Rapid Transit

Thanks, Rick and Alan.

What interested me was the McDonald's logo.  Wherever I travel, I am unable to
escape their evil
influence.  OTOH, I always advise travelers to look for the McDonald's when
they first arrive in a
strange city.  Without fail, it is located in the middle of the major
attractions, and it is a
reliable source for clean, warm and free toilet facilities, as well as large
doses of decent, if not
excellent, coffee.  In Paris, my wife and I had lunch at a famous left bank
cafe.
They featured 20 varieties of ham and cheese sandwiches and 2 ounce servings of
coffee.  When we
asked about the rest rooms, we discovered there was only one, in the basement,
with only a porcelain
ring on the floor.  We quickly fled to McDonald's, with its very comfortable
bathrooms and 20 ounce
cups of hot black coffee.

Shortly after arriving in Beijing, we took a stroll around the neighborhood
while waiting for our
room to be ready.  We walked to the main Beijing train station, which was an
overwhelming
experience.  O, the humanity!  <G>  We were the only westerners in sight.  We
then crossed the main
road to a large shopping center.  In contrast to Tokyo (or even Kyoto) there
was no written or
spoken English anywhere.
The only Latin letters in sight were on one sign outside a restaurant:
 KFC."  Nothing else in English, just the three letters.  Nearby was another
restaurant bearing the
"roof" log of Pizza Hut, but not even the name of the franchise was in English.
 It was a most
informative and educational 90 minutes indeed.

In any event, that is why the golden arches caught my eye on this vehicle.

Dan Matyola