On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Mark Roberts
<postmas...@robertstech.com> wrote:

> Here's a question I haven't seen asked (or answered) yet: How will the
> zoom head on flash units like my AF540FGZ respond to the K-1 and its
> wider field of view (for the same focal length) than APS-C cameras?
>
> I would hope either the camera or the flash makes the necessary
> adjustments without the end user needing to do anything like update
> firmware or buy a new flash unit.

I have a P-TTL Metz 48 AF-1 that shows the focal length on the LCD. On
my APS-C cameras, the focal length displayed on the flash is the
35mm-equivalent focal length. (That is, if I have a 50mm lens on the
camera, the flash shows 75mm.) So I think the Pentax flash protocol is
working in 35mm focal lengths already, and the APS-C cameras fudge it
so the flash covers the APS-C FOV.

If the AF540GZ displays the focal length, and it's the true focal
length (not 35mm-equivalent), then I would speculate that either the
flash is fudging it back to APS-C for display purposes (so you might
need a firmware update for display accuracy) or the flash protocol is
designed to explicitly support both FF and APS-C (but Metz didn't
implement that part of the protocol). Either way, I think you'll be OK
as far as the actual flash zoom mechanism is concerned.