And I've been complaining about clerks tell me that "the computer does not allow me"... Those damn computers will be writing their own postings to PDML soon. ;-)

That rock formation got me thinking if it was "Dog Beach", between Del Mar and Encinitas:
But it doesn't seem to be the case.

Encinitas is about 1 hour south of LA (depending on the traffic).

Sorry, while I am very familiar with San Diego's vicinities, I don't know the coastal line near LA that well to recognize this place.