Christine - I've had one for a year or so and find it excellent. It
does a super job of B&W as well as colour.

I use a simple workflow - calibrated Mac monitor, Lightroom, pick the
profile for the printer / paper and set it off. I mainly use Epson
Premium Semi Gloss - seems to look a lot like the Ilford Pearl that I
used to use in the darkroom. I've also used Permajet Oyster, a nice
stipple finish paper and am pretty happy with that too. One day I'll
have a go with more exotic papers, but haven't used metallic.

Yes, the inks are not cheap, but I'm more than happy with the results.

Chris