My P600 arrived today!

It’s true—the black and white prints do pop—as do the color.  I printed both
color and black and white on the Epson metallic glossy paper, and it really
looks nice.  I just finished printing some black and white Velvet Fine Art in
both letter and 13 x 19 inch paper.  Very nice.

As to loading paper:  It’s BETTER!  Yea!!!!  While there are a few extra steps,
these steps are so inconsequential.  Once you pop out the front manual loading
tray (not a problem to do), I think loading the paper flat and guiding it
through is less anxiety ridden than the other process on the R2880—easier to
get the alignment right.  In the 6 prints I just made, I did get one “paper
askew” notification, but that was due to user error.

I also set up the wireless printing with AirPrint on my iPad Air.  Easy-peasy!
I printed a flyer I made using Pages and had saved as a JPEG.  I wasn’t
expecting the color to be that great—but I was wrong:  the color is very true
and really pops. I printed it from the Photos app, and I printed it on some
premium matte paper.  The set-up was a breeze.  I was expecting complications,
but there were none.

I may have mentioned that they painted my office, and I have been doing some
serious printing and framing of my work on my office walls.  The dedicated
color wall is moving along nicely, but I only have two large prints on my
dedicated black and white wall.  The progress is slower here because a) I’ve
been thinking that I want to shoot some new stuff specifically for the B/W wall
and b) I knew I was seriously thinking of getting the P600 (provided I got some
good PDML reviews, which I did) and wanted to wait for better prints.  Well,
now that the printer has arrived, I will probably reprint the two prints
already on the wall and replace.

I really like the quality of the B/W on the Epson Metallic Glossy paper, so I
may do more printing with this paper.

For Mac users, you have to download all the driver stuff from the Epson web
page.  Immediately after, I checked for any updates, and those appeared and I
updated immediately.  When I opened Lightroom (most current version on the iMac
(non Creative Cloud)), everything was right were it should be, and I went
through all my usual selections.  I have the Creative Cloud version of
Lightroom, Adobe InDesign et al on my MacBook Pro w/Retina.  I haven’t set up
the P600 on that yet, but will do soon.

The only real problem now is space in my home study.  The p600 now sits on the
only flat work space I had.  This would change if I got rid of the R2880, but
I’m not willing to do that—at least for now.  More to the point, I’ve been
thinking a lot about my so-called creative space:  right now it’s just filled
with a jumble of stuff.  It’s a mess.  I may have to take some time to rethink
my creative space, so it’s more pleasurable to work in—more efficient.  Easier
to think about, but much harder to reconfigure!

So, I recommend the P600—and I’m looking forward to trying some of the hot &
cold press papers.  Oh, and I love that I just had to press a button to switch
to the matte black cartridge.  Gosh, I hated switching out cartridges on the
R2880.  The actual switching out wasn’t a big deal, but waiting for it to
register, so you could choose the appropriate paper was often frustrating.
Life is better!

Cheers, Christine