Well, to clarify,
I sometimes combine it with focus bracketing. In night shots it can be combined with using the AstroTrace for getting nice skies. Then you can shoot the foreground with as long exposure as you'd like.

In general I find the technique most convenient for landscapes with a focus foreground, next to no middle-ground and detailed background.

Jostein