On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 8:29 PM Mark Roberts <postmas...@robertstech.com>
wrote:

> Rob Studdert wrote:
>
> >The K5IIs actually made the K5 useful, I'm still using my mK5IIs, my
> >pair of K5 bodies are long gone, their focus speed/accuracy in low
> >light was appalling. If these specs are true it's really offering a
> >very very limited advantage over the original K1.
>
> Well, yeah. That's the point: To offer just enough improvement to be
> useful but not enough to piss off people who already have a K-1 (by
> making them think they should have waited).

It doesn’t appear to have worked out very well. People here and on that
somewhat neurotic forum dedicated to Pentax are having kittens because of
this “useless upgrade”.
This seems to be another case of the more you have, the less happy you are.

Ricoh doesn’t seem to be giving Pentax the unlimited resources required to
build a world class system in a hurry, and at this point, they need to be
fleshing out some sort of prime lens system more than new cameras.
We’ll get out K1 replacement, but I expect it won’t happen until they can
plunk a 50mp sensor into it and not have it cost $3k or more.

As for the K3 replacement, it’s quite possible that Ricoh has decided that
 high end APS-C is now a dead end and will continue with lower end bodies,
or perhaps go mirrorless with that format while concentrating their
flagship efforts on the 35mm format.